Thursday, May 19, 2005

First Day Back to Honduras

4:00am comes early here. The rooster screams like clock work outside my window and there will be no rest for the weary.

Yesterday we drove up from the City. Our trip up the mountains would not have been complete if it had gone smooth. Through a long and convoluted story we ended up with a car which was “in good shape” which someone lent to orphanage in exchange for their truck just for the weekend. For those of you who know me know cars and I just have bad thing for each other. About ¾ of the way it started to over heat. Now imagine a car full of gringos sitting along side the road with 1 ton of luggage. Yeah you guessed it …..It would be a really bad thing. Luckily we had about 2 cups of water with some juice between us and we managed to limp it along to the entrance of the orphanage.

They finally brought to my room……and when I looked at the porch I actually started to laugh because it was just to perfect….they put a bee hive box outside my door and the whole porch was swarming with bees. I asked Jenny if this was a joke, she was laughing just as hard as I was. No, she said it’s not a joke they were told to figure out a way to get the bees out of the rooms and I guess they decided this was the way….. provide them with a home of their own! Okay so I thinking “I can do a lot but I am not going to walk up there, not gonna do it”. Jenny agreed and kindly invited me to stay with her last night until we get the whole situation straightened out.

Today I will check out the Clinic first to get a general idea of what has worked and not worked over the past year then we have planned a meeting at 2pm with the heads of each department to try and re-organize. We have a plan to improve work ethic and try to make some progress.

Jen said that the children are doing fairly well right now. Her biggest problem for the moment is a girl with epilepsy and mild mental retardation. She is having more frequent seizures and refusing to take medications.

I will try tonight to see if I can send email in town. We lost our satellite connection at the orphanage because the company was basically ripping them off. They were charging $900 dollars a month. We also have no phones because cellular company sent them a bill for $11,500 for which they refused to give a report of the calls made. Jenny and Anita spent the day yesterday in the court house filing a complaint. Some businesses here think because there are ties to America there must be money. It’s damn mess.

That said, and despite the bees and the car and the luggage I am glad to be back….I think….

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I hope you are having a good time. Sounds like you are doing good. Can't wait to have you back!

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Search Popdex: